Thursday, March 28, 2013

Stranger than Fiction: My Nonfiction Reading List

Touching on the same ideas in my previous post, there seems to be a set canon of literature in our subculture that gives us everything we need to write plots, dig dungeons, and build worlds. Fiction, comics, TV shows, and movies all provide us with fertilizer for our imaginations. Just by reading the list of mediums, I'm sure you're already developing a list of "acceptable" sources of inspiration. What about nonfiction? I rarely see anyone discussing useful nonfiction, though it's possible I'm just not going to right places; at the same time, this is a subculture almost completely based on the premise of fiction and the willing suspension of disbelief.

For a while I've been grathering of nonfiction books I'd like to read. Based the research that I've done on these books, I believe they'll help me gain different perspective on the process of worldbuilding.

  1. Blind Descent by James Tabor. It's about exploring caves that are thousands of feet deep. He did an interview with John Stewart on the Daily Show about his book. I don't what could be a better resource for a game that's all about exploring underground labyrinths. Tabors makes mention of something cavers experience called rapture. After being underground for a long period of time and getting so deep the brain freaks and wants out. I think it would be interesting to include a game mechanic that simulates this. 
  2. The Wild Trees by Richard Preston. It's about exploring the canopies of the redwoods in California. Preston writes about the strange ecosystems that exist in the canopies and details about how people live their lives up there. Sounds like elfland to me. He did an interview with Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report about the book. On a side note, earlier Preston wrote a book, called The Hot Zone, all about the Ebola virus. We seriously don't need zombies. We already have Ebola and it's absolutely, organ-liquefyingly, terrible. Literally, your organs liquefy because the virus replicates so quickly that it destroys everything inside you. Scientists believe that Ebola came from Kitum Cave, which Tabors references in his book.
  3. A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain. It may seem weird to have a book about cuisine on the list, but hear me out. First off, I don't know about you, but most of the foods my characters have ingested over the years have been renaissance fair fare; beef, meat pies, potatoes, bread, and stews. One of the best ways to engage the senses and give people the idea that they're dealing with another culture is through food. Describing the sights, scents, and tastes of the food helps players to understand where their characters are. Changing the cuisine as they travel to different parts of the world also helps make the world feel like it's a real place. 
  4. Psychogeography by Will Self and illustrated by Ralph Steadman. It's about how place and the objects that inhabit the space there affects us psychologically. It out of print, unfortunately, but there are other books that discuss the ideas of psychogeography available.
Every once in a while I'll post commentary about what I'm reading. Are there any nonfiction books that you think would help in the noble art of worldbuilding? Post them in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment