Friday, March 29, 2013

From Blind Descent

I started Tabor's Blind Descent today. Two quotes stood out:

"[W]e prefer to think of our heroes as clean and beautiful. Think our grandest explorer icon, Neil Armstrong: immaculate and pure, his knightly suit burning against the gray moon and black space. Caving on the other hand, is by its very nature dirty, dark, and wet."

"What ordinary man, after all, would sacrifice everything for the privilege of going to hell?"

As literature guy, those sentences are phenomenal. As a gamer, more specifically a DM, they perfectly capture the mood I've been striving for in my games. I want characters to test themselves in the darkest, most terrible parts of the world. I want to examine what it means to be an adventurer and to achieve. Against awful grandeur, the sublime, of the world is it all worth it? Or should you have just stayed home and been a dirt farmer, or taken over the family business, or married so-and-so?

No comments:

Post a Comment